In certain cases, it will be possible for workers residing in Quebec to renew their Quebec work permits without having to acquire a new LMIA. In order for a Quebec worker to renew his/her work permit in Quebec without obtaining a new LMIA, he/she must:
- Be residing in Quebec
- Be nominated by the Quebec Government for permanent residence
- Be working in Quebec or have a job offer from a Quebec employer
- Include in the new work permit application, a letter from the Quebec government that confirms that the worker has been nominated for permanent residence.
Workers under the Quebec Skilled Worker Class who would like to renew their work permits must fall under one of the following groups:
- Those seeking to extend their work permit for their current employer.
- Those seeking to renew their current work permit with a new employer in the province of Quebec.
- Foreign students who have obtained a post-graduation work permit and have a job offer in the province of Quebec.
- Work permit holders participating in one of the following International Experience Canada programs:
- Working Holiday
- 18-month Young Professionals Co-op
- Co-op (internship)
A renewed Quebec work permit will be valid for the same duration as the job being offered up to a maximum of two years. Only employer-specific work permits will be issued under this program. Thus, no open work permits will be issued.
Spouses or common-law partners who are accompanying the worker and who are currently living in Canada are entitled to apply for open work permits for the duration of the principal worker’s work permit. This rule applies no matter the skill level of the principal workers’ job.
For information on important changes to the Quebec LMIA application process, click here. (Important Changes to the LMIA Application Process)
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.