Malta Citizenship by Investment Programme
The Individual Investor Programme of the Republic of Malta was started this year under Legal Notice 47. As per this programme, a person can become a Maltese citizen by contributing to the economic and social development of the country. Upon successful contribution of the same, the investor and his/her family will be granted a certificate of naturalization.
Malta has been a member of the European Union since 2004. A Maltese citizenship allows you to do visa-free travel in more than 160 countries of the world. It also gives you the right of work and establishment in all nations that are members of the European Union.
Malta has a history that dates back to more than 7500 years. Today, it is a stable and prosperous country in Europe with a democratically-elected government and an independent judicial system. The country boasts of high standards of living with excellent educational and healthcare systems. The tourism and financial sectors are highly developed and the main drivers of the Maltese economy. The country is also popular for its pleasant climate and low crime rates.
A Maltese citizenship will entitle you to the following benefits:
- Visa-free travel to more than 160 countries in the world
- A Maltese passport along with your existing passport
- Opportunity to take advantage of their liberal tax setup so as to have better tax planning benefits
- Personal security in an EU country that enjoys political stability
- High quality of life through access to excellent infrastructure and good quality healthcare
- Restriction-free access to high quality education for your children
€650,000 – 70% goes into the National Development and Social Fund.
Non-refundable payment of €10,000.
Every child below 18 years of age
Every unmarried child between 18-26 years of age
Every dependant parent above 55 years of age
Once the investor’s application is approved in principle, the following needs to be done:
- Obtain a global health insurance policy for main applicant and dependants
- Purchase a residential property in Malta worth at least €350,000 for at least five years, or rent a residential immovable property with minimum annual rent of €16,000 for at least five years
- Invest in other approved instruments in Malta for an amount of €150,000 and hold them for at least five years
It takes a minimum of six months and maximum of two years to process a citizenship application. The maximum period includes the one-year mandatory period of residency in Malta.