This visa allows aged parents to remain in Australia permanently with their children who are living in Australia. This visa requires that you be sponsored by your child or another eligible sponsor in Australia.
This visa allows you, your accompanying spouse and dependent family members to live as permanent residents in Australia.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods).
Your spouse and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this visa-
Men must be 65 years or older to meet the age requirements.
Women should use the following table. The table shows the age at which a woman becomes eligible to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa.
|Birth Date||Earliest date you can apply||Minimum Age|
|Before 30 June 1944||From 30 June 2007||63|
|1 July 1944 – 31 December 1945||Between 1 January 2008 – 30 June 2009||63.5|
|1 January 1946 – 30 June 1947||Between 1 January 2010 – 30 June 2011||64|
|1 July 1947 – 31 December 1948||Between 1 January 2012 – 30 June 2013||64.5|
|1 January 1949 and later||From 1 January 2014 onwards||65|
Child in Australia
You must be the parent of a child who is settled in Australia as one of the following:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. Usually, your child will sponsor you. If your child is under 18 years you may also be sponsored by one the following:
- your child’s spouse
- a close family relative or guardian of your child
- a close family relative or guardian of your child’s spouse
- a community organisation.
Assurance of Support
You must have a commitment by a person prepared to provide you with an Assurance of Support.
An Assurance of Support must be given by the Sponsor or another person and they must be prepared to provide financial assistance to the applicant and any accompanying dependent family members so they do not need to rely on any government forms of support for two (2) years of residency in Australia repay any recoverable social security payments made to the applicant or their accompanying dependent family members in the first two (2) years of residency in Australia.
Balance of family test
The balance of family test requires that:
- half your children must be permanently resident in Australia
- you have more children permanently resident in Australia than any other single country
You must meet certain health requirements and will need to undergo a health examination.
You must meet character requirements.
Australian Values Statement
If you are aged 18 years or over, you are required to sign an Australian values statement. The statement is included in your visa application form and all applicants aged 18 years and over will need to sign it to confirm that they will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws. Before signing this statement you are required to have read, or had explained to you, material made available by the government on life in Australia which is contained in the Life in Australia book.