June 8, 2017 – The agriculture industry has welcomed Ontario’s move to create a new Canada Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
Agriculture is one of the industries specifically targeted by the new stream, for which a key requirement is 12 months of relevant Ontario work experience in the last two years.
Agriculture workers in National Occupational Classification 82 do not require a job offer to qualify for the stream.
This includes jobs such as farm supervisors, specialized livestock workers, specialized horticulturalists and agricultural service contractors.
The Ontario agriculture industry has long been calling for help because of a shortage of workers. This new Ontario immigration stream is the province’s response to that call.
The stream was launched less than a week after the federal government conducted its first-ever Canada Express Entry draw targeted specifically at the Federal Skilled Trades Program. The indication is that Canada needs skilled trades workers.
Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream is also targeted at the construction industry. The province says it the stream will be opened to other trades as and when the requirement develops.
Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream
The new Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream will initially target workers in the construction and agriculture industries. However, it could be expanded as needs develop.
The move comes days after the federal government conducted its first Express Entry draw targeted at the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
The new stream has immediately been opened for online applications.
To qualify applicants must have:
- A pending application under the Federal Express Entry system;
- At least 12 months of paid cumulative or continuous Ontario work experience with the last two years prior to your Notification of Interest in National Occupation Classification 633, or major groups 72, 73 or 82;
- Proof of Ontario license or certification if your occupation so requires;
- A valid work permit and be resident in Ontario at the time of application;
- English or French-language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 or above in reading, writing, listening and speaking;
- Proof of settlement fund to cover you and your dependents, with the minimum amount determined by official Low Income Cut-Offs.
Regular OINP Activity
The OINP has opened and closed several of its streams throughout the first five months of 2017, with many of the provincial nominee programs also fully active.
The current status of the OINP streams is as follows:
|Human Capital Priorities (Express Entry)||Open|
|French-Speaking Skilled Worker (Express Entry)||Open|
|Skilled Trades (Express Entry)||Open|
|Employer Job Offer||Open|
|International Student (Masters Graduate)||Paused (May 1, 2017)|
|International Student (PhD Graduate)||Paused (May 24, 2017)|
|Investor Immigration (Corporate)||Open|
|Investor Immigration (Entrepreneur)||Open|
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.