Last Updated on February 6, 2020
2019-12-05 – Alberta has eased the process for certain graduates to apply to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program.
The province has eliminated the list of Alberta Advanced Education Approved Post-Secondary Credentials under the Alberta Opportunity Stream.
The change, announced on November 29, 2019, specifically affects Alberta graduates who started a post-diploma, post-baccalaureate certificate or an undergraduate diploma on or after April 1, 2019.
Alberta Invites 148 Express Entry Candidates With A Minimum CRS Score Of 400
Recent Alberta Express Entry Draws See CRS Scores Drop to 300
Alberta Invites Express Entry Candidates With CRS Scores of 350
Previously, those graduates had to be completing courses on the list to qualify.
Following the changes, the completion of a specific program of study is no longer required.
However, the candidate’s occupation must still relate to their Alberta field of study.
Also, post-diploma or post-baccalaureate certificate holders must show their previous field of study abroad relates to their occupation.
What Are the Requirements for The Alberta Opportunity Stream?
Interested candidates must meet several categories of requirements to qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream. Unless otherwise specified, all requirements must be met at the time of submission of application and at the time AINP assesses the application.
1. Residency and Work Permit Requirements
Eligible candidates must have a valid temporary resident status in Canada that authorizes them to work.
- The valid work permit must be based on either:
- The candidates must work in an eligible occupation.
- refugees, those under appeal or removal proceedings;
- temporary residents living outside of Alberta;
- temporary residents on implied status or restoration status
Post-Graduation Work Permit holders must also meet additional requirements:
- Current occupation must be related to your field of study in Alberta.
- Your Alberta credential must be issued by an approved institution and be one of the following:
- Certificate or post-graduate certificate of minimum one year.
- Diploma program of a minimum of two years.
- Undergraduate bachelor’s degree.
- Graduate-level degree, certificate or diploma.
- If you started attending your Alberta credential program on or after April 1, 2019, and you have completed a one-year post-diploma certificate or post-baccalaureate certificate, your occupation must also be related to your previous post-secondary field of study outside Canada.
2. Occupation Requirements
To qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream, you must be working in an eligible occupation in Alberta.
Most occupations under National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A, B, C and D are eligible under the AINP.
Unlike some of the other provinces, the AINP does not reward candidates whose occupations appear on a certain list. Rather, the province publishes a list of ineligible occupations.
3. Language Requirements
At the time of your application, you must provide test results showing minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 for all language skills in English or in French (Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC), for the majority of NOC codes.
Only those applying under NOC code 3413 (Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates) must provide a minimum language test score of CLB/NCLC level 7 for each language skill in English or in French.
Effective January 1st 2020, the language requirement will increase to CLB/NCLC level 5 for candidates applying under NOC 0, A and B.
4. Education Requirements
At the time of your application, you must have completed minimum high school education in your country of origin.
Effective January 1st 2021, candidates will need to have completed a minimum of high school equivalent to Alberta standards.
5. Work Experience Requirements
At the time of your application, you must have:
- Minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months; or
- Minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in your current occupation in Canada and/or abroad within the last 30 months.
*This work experience can be a combination of experience gained in Alberta, in Canada (outside Alberta) and/or abroad.
As a Post-Graduation Work Permit holder, you must have a minimum of 6 months of full-time work experience:
- in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months AND
- in an occupation related to your studies for an Alberta approved credential at an Alberta approved institution.
- You must have the required licensing, registration or certification to work in your current occupation in Alberta.
- You must have a bona fide full-time job offer from an Alberta employer to work in your current occupation in Alberta and be working full-time for that employer in Alberta in that occupation.
- Your job offer must be signed by you and your Alberta employer and must offer:
- Continuous paid work,
- Full-time work, defined as a minimum of 30 hours/week for 12 months,
- Work in your current occupation, and
- Work for an eligible AINP occupation for which you have a work permit that meets AINP work permit requirements.
The following individuals are not eligible, even if they have a job offer to work 30 hours a week or more in a 12-month period:
- Part-time employees, regardless of their working hours,
- Independent contractors, business owners or temporary agency workers, or
- Employees who work in Alberta in a place of employment that is not zoned for commercial or industrial operations, such as a home-based business
- Employees who do not work on premises in Alberta, such as those who work in a “virtual” location or serve the employer by telecommuting from a location outside Alberta.