Last Updated on April 24, 2015
Nature of Work:
Computer and information systems managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of organizations that analyze, design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
Computer and information systems managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of information systems and electronic data processing (EDP) departments and companies,
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for electronic data processing and computer systems development and operations,
- Meet with clients to discuss system requirements, specifications, costs and timelines,
- Assemble and manage teams of information systems personnel to design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems,
- Control the budget and expenditures of the department, company or project,
- Recruit and supervise computer analysts, engineers, programmers, technicians and other personnel and oversee their professional development and training.
Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers (2147) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Analyze user’s requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications,
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers,
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components,
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware,
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients,
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
Network system and data communication engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture,
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software,
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks,
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
Computer engineers may specialize in a number of areas including analog and digital signal processing, fibre optics, integrated circuits, lasers, microprocessors, microwaves and radio astronomy.
Database analysts perform some or all of the following duties:
- Collect and document user requirements,
- Design and develop database architecture for information systems projects,
- Design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems,
- Conduct research and provide advice to other informatics professionals regarding the selection, application and implementation of database management tools,
- Operate database management systems to analyze data and perform data mining analysis,
- May lead, co-ordinate or supervise other workers in this group.
Data administrators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models,
- Research and document data requirements, data collection and administration policy, data access rules and security,
- Develop policies and procedures for network and/or Internet database access and usage and for the backup and recovery of data,
- Conduct research and provide advice to other information systems professionals regarding the collection, availability, security and suitability of data,
- Write scripts related to stored procedures and triggers,
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of data administrators in the development and implementation of data policies, standards and models.
Information system analysts and consultants (2171) whose individual designations below perform some or all of the following duties:
- Information systems business analysts and consultants confer with clients to identify and document requirements, conduct business and technical studies, design, develop, integrate and implement information systems business solutions, and provide advice on information systems strategy, policy, management, security and service delivery,
- Systems security analysts confer with clients to identify and document requirements, assess physical and technical security risks to data, software and hardware, and develop policies, procedures and contingency plans to minimize the effects of security breaches,
- Information systems quality assurance analysts develop and implement policies and procedures throughout the software development life cycle to maximize the efficiency, effectiveness and overall quality of software products and information systems,
- Systems auditors conduct independent third-party reviews to assess quality assurance practices, software products and information systems.
Computer network technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment,
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications,
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks,
- Provide problem-solving services to network users,
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software,
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance,
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records,
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations,
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls,
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed software,
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks,
- May supervise other workers in this group.
Individuals who perform the majority of the above job description may be eligible for consideration under Quebec Immigration rules.
How to proceed forward with our assistance:
Complete the following questionnaire and receive in 1-2 days a free assessment of your qualifications for admission to Canada.