May 11, 2017 – Canada currently runs a lottery system for citizens and permanent residents who want to apply for parents and grandparents sponsorship for Canadian immigration.
Sponsors are invited to complete a basic questionnaire to enter the lottery, from which names are drawn to complete a full application.
The questionnaire is open for completion for a month, usually from early January to early February each calendar year.
The sponsorship system was introduced in 2017, replacing the old first-come, first-served system.
Sponsor Requirements for Parent and Grandparent Program
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- Demonstrate, for a period of 3 consecutive years prior to sponsorship, income greater than the minimum published by IRCC.
- Sign an undertaking to financially support the parent or grandparent, and reimburse the government for any social assistance paid out to the relative, for a period of 20 years from the date of permanent residence.
Rules For Establishing Whether Sponsor Meets Income Requirements
- Only official documents issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will be accepted to demonstrate income for the three years prior to submission;
- If a co-signer is included in the sponsorship application, the combined income of the co-signer and the sponsor will be considered;
- Any amounts from the following sources will be deducted from the sponsor and co-signer’s income for the purposes of financial eligibility:
- Provincial allowances received for a program of instruction or training;
- Social assistance received from a province;
- Financial assistance received from the Government of Canada under a resettlement program;
- Amounts received under the Employment Insurance Act, other than special benefits;
- Monthly guaranteed income supplement received under the Old Age Security Act;
- Canada child tax benefit received under the Income Tax Act.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.