Last Updated on juillet 28, 2020
Canada has added international students from the U.S. as a third category of exemptions to the international travel restrictions in place due to the coronavirus pandemic.
According to an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) update issued on July 24, foreign students from the U.S. are allowed to enter Canada, regardless of when their study permit was issued.
However, they must show their entry to Canada is non-optional and non-discretionary.
It means there are now three categories of foreign students who can enter Canada, according to the federal government website:
- International students who have a valid study permit.
- International students who were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020.
- International students entering from the U.S.
Canada Makes Major Study Permit Changes to Offer New Support For International Students
Canada Offers More Detail on Coronavirus Measures for International Students
All the Ways Canada is Helping International Students Hit by Coronavirus Crisis
In all three categories, students must satisfy Canada Border Services Agency officers that their entry to Canada is non-optional and non-discretionary.
CBSA staff will consider whether:
- The international student already lives in Canada. For those already living in Canada, the return is deemed non-discretionary.
- The international student is able to complete a 14-day quarantine period.
- The international student will begin studying after completing quarantine.
- The international student needs to be in Canada for their program.
- Pursuing studies online is not an option at the international student’s school or not possible from their home country.
To cross the border, international student need one of the following:
- Valid study permit.
- Port of entry letter of introduction that shows study permit approval, if coming from the U.S.
- Port of entry letter of introduction that shows study permit approval on or before March 18, 2020, if you’re coming from any other country.