Last Updated on avril 27, 2015
Nature of Work:
Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this unit group.
Computer network technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed software
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- May supervise other workers in this group.
Individuals who perform the majority of the above job description may be eligible for consideration under Quebec Immigration rules.
How to proceed forward with our assistance:
Complete the following questionnaire and receive in 1-2 days a free assessment of your qualifications for admission to Canada.