Last Updated on septembre 8, 2016
Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau used the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) to hire two foreign nannies before he took over as leader of the Liberals, it has emerged.
Since becoming Liberal leader he has spoken out against the program, saying it takes jobs away from Canadians and causes a reduction in wages.
Trudeau’s PR team confirmed one nanny, who no longer works for the family, had been brought in using the Live-In Caregiver Program, while one application was withdrawn shortly after submission.
The steps to a Canadian work visa (Each step is fully explained here)
- Determine if you require a work permit to work in your desired job in Canada
- Determine if you are eligible to apply for a Canadian temporary work permit
- Determine if you will apply online or on paper
- Obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from your potential employer, if required
- Obtain a temporary job offer from your potential employer
- Gather required documents and forms
- Pay fees
- Submit application
The Trudeaus – Justin and wife Grégoire – currently employ two nannies, both of whom are Canadian citizens.
The Liberals are planning a number of changes to the TFWP aimed at giving foreign nannies freedom to change roles following allegations of employer abuse, and a clearer path to permanent residency and citizenship.
The previous Conservative government imposed restrictions on the program, limiting the number of caregivers given work permits to 5,500 per year. Previous the average had been 8,000.
Campaigners are calling for the Liberals to give caregivers automatic permanent residency, allowing them freedom in the Canadian labour market.
Meanwhile, the Liberals have moved to allow certain seasonal industries to bring in unlimited numbers of TFWs for 180 days per year.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Recent News Articles:
- Canadians Clueless About Australia’s Plan to Send Refugees Here
- Canada World’s 4th Most Welcoming for Refugees
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.