Last Updated on octobre 17, 2017
May 30, 2017 – In the latest immigration.ca livestream video, immigration lawyer Colin Singer analyzes what we can expect from the federal government’s new Global Talent Stream.
The new stream for awarding work permits processed in two weeks to candidates with in-demand skills is set to be launched on June 12 as part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Relatively few details have been publicized by the Canadian government, but Singer says the chatter among those in the know is that the development is exciting for potential new immigrants.
Global Talent Stream: 2 Week Canada Visa Application Processing
Livestream Video: Why Thousands Of Applicants Are Failing Under Canada Express Entry
Livestream Video: Immigration Lawyer Singer Analyzes Canada Express Entry
Livestream Video: How To Find Canada Jobs From Overseas
“The details haven’t been released yet and the devil is in the details,” Singer said. “The aim is to attract highly-skilled workers. That’s a broad mandate. Attract skilled workers, facilitate the growth of Canadian companies and create jobs.”
Central to the new TFWP stream is that companies will need to prove they are benefitting Canada and Canadians by bringing in these skilled workers.
Just to qualify to use the new Global Talent Stream, firms are likely to need to have a Labour Markets Benefits Plan approved by the government. This will need to show how knowledge will be transferred and if approved will result in an exemption from the Labour Market Impact Assessment procedure.
The LMIA, a system for proving immigrants are not coming in to do a job for which Canadians are available, is blamed for slowing down processing times.
Key Elements Of The New Global Talent Stream
- Two-week standard for processing Canada work permit applications (and Canada visa applications when applicable) for highly skilled talent.
- Dedicated service for companies looking to make significant job-creating investments in Canada.
- Dropping of the work permit requirement for short-term highly skilled work (30 days or less in a 12-month period), and brief academic stays.
- Companies applying for workers through the Global Talent Stream will have access to the new streamlined application process that will provide:
- Client-focused service to help guide eligible employers through the application process and the development of the Labour Market Benefits Plan, with a service standard of 10 business days.
- Eligibility for workers to have their work permit applications processed in 10 business days.
“The key for employers to reach the threshold is they are going to have to prepare a Labour Markets Benefits Plan,” immigration attorney Singer said. “I hope there will be proper criteria that will come out through regulations or ministerial order.
Immigration lawyer Singer added: “As an employer, whether outside and looking to establish in Canada or already here, your going to have to submit a benefits plan and if it succeeds you’re going to be exempted from the LMIA.
“Work permits will be issued quickly. The benefits plan will be approved in 10 days, after which work permit applications will be done in 14 days. Those are the service standards we are seeing and hopefully the government will be able to reach that.”
Watch the full livestream video here:
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.