Last Updated on avril 30, 2015
Nature of Work:
Opticians fit clients with prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, assist clients in the selection of eyeglass frames, arrange for the production of eyeglasses or contact lenses and mount lenses in eyeglass frames. They are employed in optical retail outlets or other establishments with optical dispensing departments, or they may be self-employed. Student opticians and opticians who are managers of optical retail outlets are included in this unit group.
Opticians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Obtain specifications for eyeglasses or contact lenses from a prescription prepared by an ophthalmologist or optometrist or by analyzing the client’s eyeglasses or contact lenses and by measuring client’s eye curvature, pupillary distance and bridge width, using optical measuring devices
- Assist clients in selecting eyeglasses by advising on lens materials, frames, tints and anti-reflection coating
- Advise on use and care of contact lenses
- Arrange for grinding and polishing of lenses or grind and polish lenses
- Cut and edge lenses and fit lenses into frames
- Adjust finished eyeglasses to fit client
- May supervise or manage the activities of other opticians or student opticians.
Individuals who perform the majority of the above job description may be eligible for consideration under Quebec Immigration rules.
How to proceed forward with our assistance:
Complete the following questionnaire and receive in 1-2 days a free assessment of your qualifications for admission to Canada.