Last Updated on février 6, 2020
2019-12-31 – Quebec’s immigration department has released guidance on the new Quebec values test, introduced on January 1, 2020 for all candidates.
From January 1, all candidates and accompanying family members must obtain a Quebec values certificate as part of their Quebec immigration application.
They can do this by either passing an online test or by attending a Quebec government information session.
The Quebec values test applies to the following programs:
The new Practical Guide is available in French, English, Spanish and Mandarin, offering candidates all the information they will need to pass the values test.
It covers topics in five important areas:
1) Quebec is a Francophone society.
2) Quebec is a democratic society.
3) Equality between women and men.
4) The rights and responsibilities of Quebeckers.
5) Quebec is a secular society.
Candidates must follow different procedures to obtain the certificate according to their status in Quebec.
Candidates and family members with a valid study permit or work permit:
- These candidates can choose to attend an information session before submitting a permanent selection request. Participation in the session attests to the candidate’s learning of values.
- Candidates who submit a permanent selection request without first obtaining a certificate must pass the online assessment or participate in an information session within 60 days of the Minister’s request to obtain certification.
Candidates who have a valid study or work permit, but accompanying family members do not have one:
- The candidate’s family members will be able to pass the online assessment or participate in an information session only after submitting a request for permanent selection and payment of the required fees, within 60 days of the Minister’s request to obtain certification.
Candidates and family members both without a valid study or work permit:
- Candidates, after receiving the Minister’s request for certification, must first complete the online assessment. Candidates cannot participate in the information session without having tried to pass the online evaluation at least twice.
- If candidates and family members fail the online assessment after a second attempt, they can choose between a third and final test attempt or taking the information session. Candidates cannot choose both.
Candidates unable to obtain the certificate within the prescribed time will have their request rejected.
Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette outlined example questions for the test when the Quebec values test was announced, on October 30, 2019.
- Since March 27, 2019, Bill 21, the secularism of the state, says every new police officer cannot wear religious symbols on the job. True or false?”
- Who is allowed to legally marry in Quebec? Circle the options: M/F, F/F, M/M
- Men and women in Quebec have the same rights. True or false?
- Identify the situation(s) where there could be discriminatory hiring practices: A woman who is pregnant, a person who doesn’t have the right qualifications or a person of colour.
Dependent children under 18 and candidates with medical conditions preventing them from taking the test will be exempt.
According to regulations, candidates will need a score of 75 percent or more to pass the test. Candidates will have 90 minutes to complete the exam.