Investment Immigration: Antigua and Barbuda Investor Citizenship
Antigua and Barbuda has an Investor Citizenship programme which enables one to acquire direct citizenship of the country without any complicated residency requirements.
Benefits of having a citizenship of Antigua and Barbuda:
- Hassle-free movement through the Caribbean CARICOM countries
- Visa-free travel in the Schengen countries of the European Union
- Family members can also acquire citizenship without any additional investment requirements.
There are three investment options offered by Antigua and Barbuda Investor Citizenship Programme:
- Investment in National Development Fund:
The National Development Fund (NDF) is a non-profit fund which was set up in 2006 to run government projects, private-public partnerships and other government approved charitable investments. An investor can acquire citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda by investing a minimum amount of US $250,000 in the NDF.
Through such an investment citizenship can be acquired by the investor, his/her spouse, any dependent children and dependent parents above 65 years of age, without any further investment requirements.
- Investment in Real Estate
Another option for acquiring citizenship of Antigua and Barbuda is to invest a minimum amount of US $400,000 in real estate property in the country. Such an investment must be made in officially-approved real estate only.
A joint investment can also be done wherein two or more applicants can jointly apply for citizenship, provided that each applicant makes a minimum investment of $400,000.
The applicant cannot sell or dispose of the property bought under this option for a period of five years. This is allowed only if the applicant buys an alternative real estate property approved by the government and which meets the permissible investment criteria for acquisition of citizenship by investment in Antigua and Barbuda.
- Investment in Business
Investors can also acquire citizenship of Antigua and Barbuda by investing in a business approved by the Citizenship by Investment Unit. There are two ways in which investors can use this option:
- Make a minimum investment of $1,500,000 in an approved business
- Make a joint investment application with one or more persons in an approved business where the total minimum investment should be a sum of $5 million. In such an investment, each applicant should contribute at least $400,000.
The application process for all options stated above requires the investor to obtain an application form from a locally authorized agent licensed by the Citizenship by Investment Unit of the Government of Antigua and Barbuda. The completed application form should be submitted along with necessary documents and payment of requisite due diligence fees and 10% of the total government processing fee. The application will be processed by the agency implementing the programme within three months of submission.
A Certificate of Registration of Citizenship will be issued to the successful applicants and all eligible dependents.
In order to get the passport, the investor should submit an application along with necessary documents and the Certificate of Registration of Citizenship.
The investor applicant must take the oath or affirmation of allegiance when he/she first visits Antigua and Barbuda. However this requirement can also be fulfilled at an embassy or high commission in the investor’s country of residence.
The passport fee is $300 per person.
Antigua and Barbuda Investor Citizenship: Fees
Due diligence fees
Dependent child aged 0-11
Dependent child aged 12-17
Dependent child aged 18-25
Dominica Citizenship through Investment
The Commonwealth of Dominica is famously known as the Nature Isle of the Caribbean because of the county’s exceptional natural beauty and splendour.
The country offers an Economic Citizenship Programme which has the following benefits:
- Get full citizenship based on investment
- Enjoy a liberalized tax regime
- No need to give up existing citizenship
- No requirement of prior residence in Dominica
- Have a second passport which makes travelling to other countries convenient
- Visa-free travel to several countries including the United Kingdom and other British Commonwealth countries
Investment Requirements for Dominica Citizenship by Investor Programme
Investor and spouse
Investor, spouse, and two children below 18 years of age
If investor has more than two children below 18 years of age
US$50,000 per child from third child onwards
A separate application is required for family members who are above 18 years of age.
Fees for Dominica Citizenship by Investor Programme
US$1,000 per investor
US$200 per applicant
US$550 per applicant
East Caribbean $100
It takes a minimum of eight weeks to process the application. A basic knowledge of the English language is required for each applicant.
Documents Required for Dominica Citizenship by Investor Programme
- Birth certificate
- Proof of clean criminal record
- Proof of educational qualification
- Proof of source of funds
- Professional reference
- Recommendation letter of educational institution of each child
- Proof of employment or business
- Recommendation letter of banker
- Medical certificate
- Proof of marriage and divorce
- Proof of payment of all requisite fees
Application Procedure for Dominica Citizenship by Investor Programme
To apply for citizenship under Dominica’s Economic Citizenship Programme, the applicant needs to submit the necessary documents along with the application form. On approval, the investor will need to deposit the investment in stipulated accounts. Once this is done and final approval is obtained, the investor can apply for Dominican passport after attending a personal interview and taking the oath of allegiance.
Investment Immigration: Belgium Immigrant Investor Programme
Residence by Investment Programme
With a rich global presence, Belgium is the financial capital of Europe. It is a very investor-friendly nation and has favourable tax laws for businesses. Unlike other countries, Belgium doesn’t have the “citizenship by investment” programme, however, it offers “residence by investment” opportunity for business entrepreneurs and investors. It is the only European country where you can become eligible to apply for citizenship just after three years of continued lawful residence. And after seven years of residence, you qualify for “citizenship by right”. Belgium’s residence programme therefore is very suited for investors and businessmen who want to reside in Europe.
Benefits of Belgium Residency:
- The country has a strong European presence
- There is no minimum stay in a year requirement
- One can apply for Belgian citizenship just after three years of residence
- There are no restrictions on dual citizenship
- One can enjoy visa-free travel to other EU countries
- Shorter processing time
Foreigners and non-EU residents can apply for a Belgian residence permit under their investor or business category – this usually requires forming a new Belgium company with an office, providing opportunities for employment. An owner of a company in Belgium can easily get a Belgian residence permit. Investors who start their own companies can get a residence permit in 3-8 months. The investor will initially be issued a temporary permit with validity of one year; after the end of this period, the investor can renew the residence permit annually for three years. Thereafter, the investor qualifies for a “permanent residence permit”.
The most popular company types in Belgium are BVBA and SPRL. The BVBA company in Belgium works like a Limited Liability Company, and requires share capital of at least €18,600. According to Belgian regulations, taxes are around 30% and returns need to be filed annually. Investors can considerably minimize tax liability with proper tax planning.
Investors should have a minimum of €300,000 at their disposal if they want to apply for the investor residency programme in Belgium. The fee for applications varies with each case. A residence application involves the following minimum fees (which excludes VAT, but may apply depending on the client’s case):
For main applicant:
- €95,000 to obtain a residence permit for the first year
- €25,000 for renewal of residence permit in the second year and subsequent years
- €35,000 for making a citizenship application, which the investor resident will qualify for after third year of residence
For family members (spouses and children under 18 years of age):
- €20,000 per member to obtain a residence permit for the first year
- €10,000 for renewal of residence permit in the second year and subsequent years
- €20,000 for making a citizenship application
Company incorporation costs:
- Approximately €10,000 to €20,000 in the first year for establishing a company and paying directors’ fee, and approximately €5,000 per year thereafter
- Approximately €6,000 per year for office rental space
- Approximately €1,000 per month to cover costs of accounting, tax returns and company maintenance, along with private accommodation
Investment Immigration: Australia Residence Investment Programme
Australia’s Business Innovation and Investment Programme
Australia’s Business Innovation and Investment Programme is especially designed for entrepreneurs and businessmen who want to settle in Australia and contribute to Australia’s development. The main beneficiaries of investment immigration to Australia are migrants who have repeatedly enjoyed success through investments and innovation.
Objectives of the Business Innovation and Investment Programme:
- Creation of employment in Australia
- Bringing newer technologies to Australia
- Increasing production of goods and services
- Increasing Australian export of goods and services
- Strengthening the position of Australia in the international market
- Distributing businessmen with entrepreneurial skills all over the country through state-centric and territory-centric government sponsorships.
Structure of the Business Innovation and Investment Programme:
The investment immigration programme in Australia has the following three visa categories.
- Business Innovation and Investment Provisional visa (Subclass 188)
- Business Innovation and Investment Permanent visa (Subclass 888)
- Business Talent Permanent visa (Subclass 132)