June 29, 2017 – Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has issued a staunch defence of Canada immigration policies in the face of the implementation of Donald Trump’s travel ban.
Trudeau told the press he would “continue to stand for Canadian values and Canadian success in our immigration system” when asked for a reaction to the US Supreme Court’s decision to partially allow the Trump executive order.
Starting June 29, 2017, nationals of six nations – Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen – will be banned for 90 days from entering the U.S. if they have no connection to the country. The U.S. refugee system will also be suspended for 120 days.
There is a lack of clarity on how the ban will affect Canadian permanent residents who are also nationals of one of the six countries under the Trump travel ban.
Trudeau said federal government officials had been in close contact with the U.S. concerning immigration policy.
“Canadians have been very clear that we see immigration as a net positive, that we know we don’t have to compromise security to build stronger, more resilient communities, » Trudeau said.
“I will continue to stand for Canadian values and Canadian success in our immigration system as I always have, whether it’s in Washington or in Hamburg next week or elsewhere around the world.”
‘Differences Make Us Strong’
Trudeau added: “Canadians come from every corner of the world, speak two official languages and hundreds more, practise many faiths, and represent many cultures.
“Multiculturalism is at the heart of Canada’s heritage and identity, and as Canadians, we recognize that our differences make us strong.”
The US Supreme Court rule that two injunctions against the Trump ban, put in place by lower courts in Hawaii and Maryland, were too wide in their scope.
Although both remain in place, the justices decided they could only apply to citizens of the six countries with some established connection to the U.S. Any person travelling with such a connection will therefore no longer be allowed across the border.
Trump Travel Ban: Key Questions
1) What Is the Current Status of The Executive Order
On June 26, 2017, the U.S. Supreme Court passed a ruling than allowed the executive order to partially come into force.
The ruling means travellers from Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen – who do not have a connection with the U.S. – are banned from travel for 90 days. The U.S. refugee program is also suspended for 120 days, again for candidates with no U.S. connection.
The second version of the executive order has been suspended indefinitely following rulings by courts in Hawaii and Maryland. However, while the Supreme Court did not remove either injunction, their scope was dramatically reduced.
The executive order in its current form is now likely to remain in place until at least October, when the Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments from both sides on whether it is legal.
The wording of the decision says the ban applies “with respect to foreign nationals who lack any bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.”
2) What Are the Basic Facts of The Executive Order?
The executive order, signed on March 6, bans travellers from Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days. It also suspends the entire U.S. refugee for 120 days. It was due to go into effect on March 16, but was blocked by federal judges in both Hawaii and Maryland.
This was Trump’s second attempt an executive order after the original one was also suspended by the U.S. courts. The main difference between the two orders was the original inclusion of Iraq as one of the targeted countries.
3) I Am Planning to Travel to The U.S., What Can I Expect?
All travellers to the U.S. can expect increased scrutiny when crossing the border, especially those who are dual nationals from one of the banned countries, or have visited one of the countries.
Travellers should be prepared to answer detailed questions about travel history, family travel history and much more. Nothing is off the table.
If you have visited one of the seven banned countries, be ready to explain why.
All electronics are open to investigation, including phone and laptop, which you will be expected to unlock. Social media accounts, text messages and emails can and will be scrutinised.
Plan for it to take a much longer time to cross the border.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.