Last Updated on April 17, 2015
The Minimum Work Experience Requirement
The authorities have prescribed certain work experience requirements that applicants would need to meet. To meet these requirements, applicants would need to:
- Have accumulated at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience (refer to Appendix A) or,
- Have acquired an equivalent amount of continuous paid part-time work experience
These applicants would need to have acquired this work experience in the occupation identified in their application for permanent residence as their primary occupation.
In addition, this occupation must be present in the following occupational categories specified in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011, such as:
- Skill Type 0 i.e. managerial occupations
- Skill Level A i.e. professional occupations or,
- Skill Level B i.e. technical occupations and skilled trades
This is in accordance with the provisions specified in R75 (2) (a).
Furthermore, in order to meet the prescribed minimum requirements, the applicant would need to possess skilled work experience that:
- Has taken place within the 10 years preceding the date of the applicant’s application for permanent residence and,
- Is not in an occupation that the authorities have designated as being a restricted occupation
In addition, during that specific period of employment, the applicant would need to:
- Ensure that they have performed the actions specified in the lead statement for the occupation as described in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) matrix [this is in accordance with the provisions specified in R75 (2) (b)]
- This also includes carrying out a substantial number of the main duties, including all the essential duties, as specified in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) matrix [this is in accordance with the provisions specified in R75 (2) (c)]
- Readers would need to note that at the time of publication, the authorities had not designated any occupations as being restricted. For obtaining the latest details on this, readers will need to refer to the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
- It is worth noting that the applicant will not need to demonstrate that they meet the “Employment Requirements” listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) occupational description.
Source: Citizenship and Immigration Canada