Last Updated on September 9, 2021
The Express Entry system is not itself an immigration program. It is an online system created to manage Canada’s immigration applications intake.
Under that management system, Canada’s immigration department manages several economic immigration programs, including the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class and some of the Provincial Nominee Programs.
Express Entry aims to ensure faster processing and better economic outcomes for permanent residents to Canada under federal and certain provincial programs.
Are you eligible to immigrate to Canada under Express Entry?
Express Entry for Skilled Immigration
Create an Online Express Entry Profile
Boosting Your Score Under The Canada Express Entry Immigration System (Video)
How to Gain 50 or 200 Points Under Express Entry (Video)
Express Entry: How to find a job in Canada (Video)
Here’s how to apply for Express Entry:
Applicants who meet eligibility criteria submit an online profile known as an Expression of interest (EOI), under one of the three federal immigration programs or a participating provincial immigration program, to the Express Entry Pool.
CRS Scores Used To Determine Who Receives An ITA
The candidates’ profiles are then ranked against each other according to a points-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
Points are awarded based on core factors such as age, education, work experience and language ability.
The highest-ranked candidates will be considered for an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for permanent residence.
The federal government issues invitations at regular intervals during the year.
Those receiving an ITA must quickly submit a full application and pay the processing fees, within 60 days.
Under the Express Entry system, applications for permanent residency are to be processed within six months.
What Are Some Advantages of Express Entry?
- Ability to alter the program quickly and efficiently based on Canada’s economic needs.
- Better aligns Canada’s immigration intake with labour market requirements.
- Candidates can improve their scores whilst in the pool, meaning they can work towards achieving an Invitation to Apply.
- Offers a clear and realistic picture of a candidate’s Canada immigration prospects.
- Dramatically reduced processing times by prioritizing those more likely to be successful.
- Gives government flexibility on immigration through CRS changes and program-specific draws.