Note: Canada recently announced two new pilot programs for caregivers and an interim pathway.
Read more about the Home Child Care Provider Pilot, Home Support Worker Pilot and the Interim Pathway for Caregivers
Canada provides work permits for families wishing to hire caregivers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
There are two TFWP streams, one for caregivers for children and the one for caregivers for the elderly or people with high medical needs.
Employers must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment to show a foreign worker is not taking a job from a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
The LMIA fee is $1,000, although it is waived for those seeking to hire a foreign caregiver to provide home care for individuals requiring assistance with medical needs and families earning less than $150,000 per year who wish to hire a caregiver for a child under 13 years old.
The two TFWP streams replaced the former Live-In Caregiver Program, which stopped accepting new applications in 2014.
What Are The General Work Permit Requirements For Caregivers?
Under both streams, caregivers must:
- Provide full-time care (at least 30 hours per week).
- Work in the private household where care is provided.
- Meet requirements set by Employment and Social Development Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
What Are The Caregiver Streams Under The TFWP?
1) Caregivers for Children
- Children must be under 18 years old.
- Includes positions such as child care provider, live-in caregiver and nanny, grouped under NOC 4411.
2) Caregivers For People With High Medical Needs
- Includes elderly (over 65-years-old) and people with disabilities or a chronic or terminal illness.
- Includes positions such as:
- Nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012).
- Licensed practical nurse (NOC 3233).
- Attendant for persons with disabilities, home support worker, live-in caregiver, personal care attendant (NOC 4412).
Both caregiver streams have pathways to Canadian permanent residence.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.