Last Updated on January 22, 2019
January 22, 2019 – Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program opens in less than a week for sponsors to declare their interest in bringing loved ones here.
At noon EST on Monday, January 28, 2019, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), will open the Interest to Sponsor form on the Canadian government website.
A new process means invitations to submit full applications will be issued based on the order Interest to Sponsor forms are received.
This means Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents and/or grandparents need to be prepared, so that the form can be filled in quickly.
The following basic steps can be made in preparation for the opening, as highlighted via IRCC’s Twitter account.
1) Check your eligibility as a sponsor
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Live in Canada.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor.
Sponsors must submit proof of income for the previous three years.
Minimum Income Required for Previous 3 Taxation Years
|Total number of people you would be responsible for||2018||2017||2016||2015|
|If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add:||$8,740||$8,616||$8,521||$8,358|
2) Have your proof of status in Canada ready
Sponsors need to submit a digital copy of proof of their status in Canada with the Interest to Sponsor form. It is advisable to have this ready before January 28.
The following are accepted:
- Permanent resident card (both sides).
- Record of landing (IMM 1000) (only if you didn’t get a PR Card).
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate or card (both sides).
- Canadian birth certificate.
- Canadian passport (pages showing passport number, date of issue and expiration, photo, name, surname, place and date of birth).
- Secure certificate of Indian status.
The digital version must be a single file no larger than 2.5MB in one of the following formats:
- JPG, TIFF, or PNG (image)
- DOC or DOCX (Microsoft Word)
3) Have the information required on the Interest to Sponsor form prepared
Sponsors will need to enter the following information on the form:
- Your family name(s) and your given name(s) exactly as written on proof of status document.
- Your date of birth.
- The country or territory where you were born.
- Your primary residential address (where you live).
- Your email addresses.
- The number of family members in your family unit.
- The total number of people you want to sponsor, including their dependants (spouse, partner and children).
- Names of the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor.
- Date of birth of the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor.
- Your proof of status in Canada document number.
- Your electronic signature (type in your name).
Sponsors who successfully submit the form will receive a confirmation number, which should be kept, and an email confirmation within 24 hours.
New Parents and Grandparents Program Process
Step 1: Potential sponsors indicate their interest
The interest to sponsor form will be available online at noon EST on January 28, so eligible potential sponsors can let IRCC know they wish to sponsor their parents and grandparents. The new form will require potential sponsors to upload a copy of a status in Canada document.
The form will remain available until a set number has been received.
Step 2: Invitations to sponsor are sent
Once the interest to sponsor period ends, IRCC will review the submissions and remove duplicates.
IRCC officials will then invite interested potential sponsors to submit a complete application to sponsor their parents and grandparents, in the order interest to sponsor forms were received. This process will continue until the cap of 20,000 completed applications is reached.
Step 3: Applications are submitted
Those who are invited to apply have 60 calendar days for IRCC to receive their complete application. Those who submit an interest to sponsor form and receive a confirmation number, but do not receive an invitation to apply in 2019, will have their form retained by IRCC for consideration in 2020.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.