Nov 17, 2017 – The Manitoba immigration office has launched a new Business Investor Stream, featuring two updated pathways to permanent residence.
The new Business Investor Stream replaces the former Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program – Business stream. The stream is now closed for Expressions of Interest, and will reopen after the changes have been implemented at the start of 2018.
The new stream includes two pathways to Manitoba immigration, the Entrepreneur Pathway and the Farm Investor Pathway, and removes the requirement for a $100,000 deposit to be made with the Manitoba government.
The Business Investor Stream is aimed at qualified international business investors and entrepreneurs.
Candidates are initially issued with a temporary work permit, and must have the intent and ability to start or purchase a business in Manitoba within two years of arrival.
The Entrepreneur Pathway is for applicants wanting to open a business in Manitoba. Candidates are initially issued with a temporary work permit. They are nominated for permanent residence after establishing a business meeting the conditions of a Business Performance Agreement. Priority is given to candidates starting businesses outside Winnipeg.
The Farm Investor Pathway is for applicants wanting to open and operate a farm in rural Manitoba. Candidates are initially issued with a temporary work permit. They are nominated for permanent residence after establishing a business meeting the conditions of a Business Performance Agreement.
Manitoba Business Investor Stream: Entrepreneur Pathway Requirements
1) Business Experience
- Minimum of three years of full time work experience in the past five years either as an active business owner or working in a senior management role of a successful business.
- Business owners are given higher points in comparison to senior managers.
- Business owners must have at least 33 1/3% ownership to qualify for points.
2) Official Languages Proficiency
- Minimum CLB/NCLC 5
- Minimum Canadian high school certificate equivalent
- No minimum or maximum age; however, ranking points are allocated to candidates 25 to 49 years of age.
5) Business Investment
- Minimum investment is $250,000 for businesses situated in the Manitoba Capital Region.
- Minimum investment is $150,000 if a business is situated outside of the Manitoba Capital Region.
- Business Investment must be made in an eligible business as defined by the MPNP.
- The proposed business must create or maintain at least one job for a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident in Manitoba (excluding owners of the business and/or their close relatives).
6) Business Research Visit
- A Business Plan is required and is an integral part of the application.
- A business research visit allows the applicant to conduct extensive research of their future business investment or proposal. The Business Research Visit must be conducted no more than one year prior to the submission of your EOI.
Points will be allocated to you if:
- Your spouse has CLB/NCLC 5 or higher;
- You or your spouse have CLB/NCLC 5 or higher in the Second Official Language;
- You or your spouse or common-law partner have a close relative currently residing in Manitoba for more than one year;
- Your child is enrolled in an accredited Manitoba educational institution and is actively pursuing academic, professional or vocational training on a full-time basis for at least six months prior to the date of submission of EOI; and/or
- You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner have completed a program of full-time study for at least one year at a post-secondary institution in Manitoba. You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner must have done this after you turned 17 years old and with a valid study permit;
You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner have completed at least six months of continuous full time employment in Manitoba. A letter of reference from the employer and a copy of the work permit must be provided.
- Minimum of $500,000
- Your personal net worth will be verified by a third-party supplier approved by the MPNP. A verification report, along with the application, must be submitted to the MPNP within 120 days of receiving your LAA.
Business Performance Agreement
- After an application is approved, a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) must be signed prior to the MPNP issuing you a letter of support for applying for a work permit.
Manitoba Business Investor Stream: Farm Investor Pathway Requirements
1) Farm Business Experience
- Minimum of three years farm business management or farm ownership and operation experience supported by verifiable documents.
2) Official Languages Proficiency
- The Farm Investor Pathway (FIP) recognizes language capabilities in either of Canada’s two official languages are an important adaptability skill that will accelerate your ability to become economically established in rural Manitoba.
- If you are invited to attend a FIP interview, you will be required to conduct the interview in either French or English.
3) Farm Business Investment
- At least $150,000. You are expected to establish a farming business in rural Manitoba.
- Farm business investments must be in eligible tangible assets as defined by the MPNP.
- A farm business plan is required and is an integral part of the application.
- Investments into a farm business operated primarily for the purposes of deriving passive investment income or speculative purposes are not eligible.
4) Farm Business Research Visit
- You must conduct a Farm Business Research Visit to Manitoba.
5) Farm Business Activities
- A farm business entity should have ongoing and recurring business activities in rural Manitoba.
- You are required to live on the farm and actively participate in the management of the farm business on an ongoing basis from within Manitoba.
- The farm business must be in active primary agriculture production and economically viable.
- The MPNP requires you to conduct value-added farm business activities in Manitoba. Purely speculative activities or the use of third-party farm managers are not eligible under the MPNP.
6) Economic Establishment Adaptability
- You must demonstrate adaptability, specifically relating to practical farming skills, technical knowledge and experience in technological based farming practices that will transfer directly to Manitoba’s current primary farm production industry.
7) Net Worth
- At least $350,000
- The FIP retains the option to have personal net worth verified by a third-party supplier approved by the MPNP. If optioned, the verification report along with the application must be submitted to the MPNP within 120 days of receiving Invitation to Apply.
8) Business Performance Agreement
- After an application is approved, a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) must be signed prior to the MPNP issuing a letter of support for applying for a work permit.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.