July 9, 2019 – Ontario immigration is to start targeting specific technology occupations with new tech draws from the Express Entry pool.
The draws are designed to address labour shortages in the technology sector in Canada’s largest province.
New tech draws will focus on six specific NOC codes through the existing Human Capital Priorities Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
The six occupations are:
- Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173)
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers (NOC 2174)
- Computer engineers (NOC 2147)
- Web designers and developers (NOC 2175)
- Database analysts and data administrators (NOC 2172)
- Computer and information systems managers (NOC 0213)
Candidates must meet existing HCP requirements (see below) as well as have work experience in one of the stated occupations.
“Through this dedicated approach, we’re helping to make it easier for businesses in the technology sector to recruit top talent from around the world,” an OINP statement said.
Candidates selected from the Express Entry pool receive a Notification of Interest via there Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) account.
They then have 45 days to submit a full application.
- Ontario Targets 10 Occupations With 1,072 Notifications of Interest
- Consultation Period Ends For Raft of Planned Ontario Immigration Changes
- Ontario Issues NOIs to 360 in Largest-Ever French Speaking Skilled Worker Draw
As part of the new focus on technology occupations, Ontario has also launched a new Business Immigration Services team.
“The team takes an active role in helping employers find talent solutions with immigration,” the OINP statement said.
Dedicated staff are on hand to help employers looking to fill tech worker vacancies.
Employers can also get up-to-date information about application processing times and nominations issued to date.
Ontario Human Capital Priorities General Requirements
- Ongoing profile under the Federal Express Entry system and be qualified for either the FSWP or the CEC.
- Hold minimum of 1-year of full time, or full-time equivalent work experience under NOC occupation level 0, A or B, in the past five years if applying under the FSWP or in the past three years if applying under CEC.
- Hold the equivalent of a Canadian Bachelors degree or higher.
- Show language proficiency of minimum CLB/NCLC level 7 in English or in French.
- Intention to reside in the province of Ontario.
- Residing with legal status in Canada, if applicable.
- Proof of required settlement funds.
- Minimum Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System score as determined by director under period draws.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.