Last Updated on March 25, 2016
Selection Criteria – The Required Work Experience in a Skilled Trade Occupation
The applicant would need to have:
- At least two years (24 months) of full-time work experience (refer to Appendix A), or the equivalent in part-time work, in the skilled trade occupation specified in their application for permanent residence. The work experience must have taken place during the five years (60 months) prior to the date of the application. This is in accordance with the provisions specified in R87.2 (3) (b) [refer to Appendix D]. However, the applicant would need to be aware that they do not need to obtain the work experience over a continuous period. As such, any work experience the applicant obtains in Canada must have the proper authorisation for counting towards meeting the work experience requirement.
- Performed the actions specified in the lead statement for the occupation and a substantial number of the main duties listed in the description of the skilled trade occupation as specified in the National Occupation Classification (NOC). In addition, the applicant would need to have performed all of the essential duties listed in the description. Moreover, the applicant would need to have performed these duties after the applicant qualified to practise the skilled trade occupation independently in the jurisdiction where the applicant performed the work.
It is worth noting that the applicant does not need to have employment at the time of application. However, the applicant would need to:
- Identify the requirements for practising their trade independently in their country or region and,
- Provide evidence of how the applicants met the requirements specified prior to gaining the qualifying work experience
- In Bulgaria, plumbers would need to have the appropriate certifications before they can begin practising plumbing on an independent basis in the country. Therefore, plumbers from Bulgaria would need to provide the relevant proof of their certifications for demonstrating that they have at least two years of full-time experience in the last five years as certified plumbers in Bulgaria.
- In Ontario, carpenters do not need to possess any certifications in order to practise carpentry on an independent basis. Therefore, carpenters from Ontario would need to show that they have at least two years of full-time experience in carpentry in Ontario in the last five years. In addition, they would also need to provide evidence that they do not require providing any certification details.
Persons interested in applying under the Federal Skilled Trades Class are invited to communicate with us at their convenience and/or to complete an assessment questionnaire. Upon receipt we will assess your options.
Source: Citizenship and Immigration