Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Nature of Work:
Technical sales specialists, wholesale trade, sell a range of technical goods and services, such as scientific, agricultural and industrial products, electricity, telecommunications services and computer services, to governments and to commercial and industrial establishments in domestic and international localities. They are employed by establishments that produce or provide technical goods and services, such as pharmaceutical companies, industrial equipment manufacturing companies, grain elevators, computer services firms, engineering firms and hydroelectric companies, or they may be self-employed technical sales specialists/agents who contract their services to other companies. Technical sales specialists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
Technical sales specialists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Promote sales to existing clients
- Identify and solicit potential clients
- Assess clients’ needs and resources and recommend the appropriate goods or services
- Provide input into product design where goods or services must be tailored to suit clients’ needs
- Develop reports and proposals as part of sales presentation to illustrate benefits from use of good or service
- Estimate costs of installing and maintaining equipment or service
- Prepare and administer sales contracts
- Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support
- Troubleshoot technical problems related to equipment
- May train customers’ staff in the operation and maintenance of equipment
- May conduct sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce
- May supervise the activities of other technical staff and sales specialists.
Technical sales specialists usually specialize in a particular line of goods or services.
Individuals who perform the majority of the above job description may be eligible for consideration under Quebec Immigration rules.
How to proceed forward with our assistance:
Complete the following questionnaire and receive in 1-2 days a free assessment of your qualifications for admission to Canada.