Last Updated on October 25, 2018
October 25, 2018 – A move to restrict U.S. international student visas by the Trump administration is set to further enhance the draw of Canada as a study-abroad destination.
While America is about to imposed fixed time limits on student visas for the first time, Canada is setting about doing all it can to attract the international cohort.
Currently, the U.S. puts no time limit on student visas, provided the holder maintains their status as a student. Effectively the visa is valid for as long as the student continues their studies.
Why Canada Has It All as Destination for International Students
Study in Canada: Step-By-Step Guide for International Students
Canada’s Popularity Growing as Study Abroad Destination for International Students
This is set to change following a Trump administration announcement of a plan to impose fixed time limits.
The move gives potential international students considering their options another reason to shift their focus away from America, and towards Canada.
U.S. institutions already reported a 7 per cent drop in enrolments in 2017, believe to be a result of stricter conditions imposed by the Trump administration.
Are you considering studying in Canada? Take our Canada Study Assessment questionnaire to see if you qualify
The general anti-immigration stance south of the border is also putting off potential newcomers.
Meanwhile, Canada is breaking records with its international student population.
From primary to post-graduate level, in 2017 there were 494,525 international students in Canada. The target had been to reach an international student population of 450,000 by 2022.
But with no indication of the rate of increase dropping, there are set to be more than 500,000 international students here in 2018.
It is not difficult to work out why.
From Study Permits, to Post-Graduate Work Permits, to permanent residence and citizenship, Canada has introduced changes designed to attract foreign students.
The Liberal federal government has identified attracting international students and motivating them to stay and build their careers here as a central immigration policy.
How Does Canada Attract International Students?
1) Provides access to expedited processing via the Student Direct Stream for international students from major markets in China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines.
2) Gives students the right to work during their studies.
3) International graduates can access the Post-Graduation Work Permit, allowing them to work for up to three years after completing their studies.
4) Prioritizes permanent residence applications from international graduates through Express Entry by offering specific points for Canadian education credentials.
|Education Level||Number of Points|
|One or two-year post secondary||15|
|Three-year post secondary, master’s, professional degree or doctorate||30|
5) Multiple provincial immigration streams also target international graduates.
6) Time spent in Canada temporarily counts towards physical presence requirement in citizenship application.
7) Reduced citizenship physical presence requirement to three years in the last five from four in six.
Livestream Video: How International Students Can Immigrate to Canada
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.