June 8, 2018 – Two in every three immigration applicants via Express Entry planned to live in Ontario in 2017, new figures show.
Candidates targeting Canada’s largest province submitted almost 73,000 out of the near 110,000 total applications received.
The figures are a dramatic increase on 2016, when Ontario received just 15,400 out of a total 42,700 applications through Express Entry. This represents just over one in three.
It shows that as Express Entry became the dominant pathway for economic immigration to Canada in 2017, Ontario immigration received the vast majority of applications.
Which Canadian Province Gets Most Applications Through Express Entry?
|Rank||Province||Express Entry Applications Received 2017|
|8||Prince Edward Island||538|
NOTE: Quebec does not participate in Express Entry
British Columbia received the second highest number of applications in 2017 at 17,458, or 16 per cent, illustrating Ontario’s dominance.
Why Is Ontario Immigration So High?
Ontario is the largest province in Canada, meaning you would expect it to receive the most immigrants. However, the Express Entry application figures are significantly more dominant than Ontario’s size. The figures support Ontario’s status as Canada’s economic hub, with some of the fastest growing cities in the country and the most desirable places to live. Toronto is at the centre of that, as arguably Canada’s most recognizable metropolis and a skyline known all over the world. It is also one of the most expensive places to live in Canada. Ontario’s challenge is to get new immigrants to spread out to some of its less-populated areas. Northern Ontario recently called for a targeted immigration program to bring more immigrants to the region.
How Can I Apply to Immigrate to Ontario?
- Ontario’s main source of immigrants is Canada’s federal immigration programs. It also operates the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, which has an invitation threshold of 6,600 for 2018.
- Candidates who do not qualify for family reunification programs should consider entering the Express Entry Pool. Figures show Ontario receive two-thirds of Express Entry applications in 2017.
- You may qualify for Express Entry via core human capital factors such as age, language skills, education and work experience.
- If your core skills are not enough, the best way to score more points is with a qualified job offer worth 200 or 50 points. Our dedicated recruitment platform, skilledworker.com, is a great place to start.
- You should also consider securing a provincial nomination, worth 600 points. Ontario has several provincial programs which tap the Express Entry Pool for the right candidates.
- If you cannot qualify directly for PR, consider coming to Ontario on a temporary work permit and gaining the experience you need to boost your score.
- Once permanent residence is secured, you can choose to live anywhere in Canada.
What Are the Key Programs for Ontario Immigration?
How Canada’s Provinces Select New Immigrants
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.