Canada Caregiver Immigration

Canada Caregiver Immigration

Canada’s immigration system provides a number of options for caregiver immigration.

The Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots, which replaced the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots on June 18, 2019, have options for both candidates apply from overseas and those already in Canada.

Canada’s Interim Pathway for Caregivers closed on October 8, 2019. It offered a short-term pathway aimed at caregivers who came to Canada as temporary foreign workers since 2014 but were unable to qualify for permanent residence through an existing program

The Live-In Caregiver Program closed to new applications in 2014, but candidates who came to Canada through the program can still apply for permanent residence.

Read More

Canada To Overhaul Foreign Caregiver System With Two New Pilot Programs
Do I Qualify for Canada’s New Interim Pathway for Caregivers?


Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots


  • Job offer
  • CLB 5 language level
  • 1 year of Canadian post-secondary education or foreign equivalent
  • Admissibility

Applying From Outside Canada

Step 1. Get a Work Permit

Submit applications for permanent residence and work or study permit(s) for yourself and your family.

Get an occupation-specific work permit to obtain the work experience you need for permanent residence.

Get work or study permits for your spouse or common-law partner and children to come with you.

Step 2. Permanent Residence Finalized

Once two years of work experience is completed, submit proof to IRCC to get permanent residence.

Applying From Within Canada

Candidates who already have work experience as an in-home caregiver in Canada can choose one of two options:

  • Use the 2-step process outlined above, then complete two years of experience to get permanent residence.
  • Keep working in Canada with current work permit and apply for permanent residence once 2 years of work experience are complete, provided general requirements are met.

Interim Pathway For Caregivers

Please note: Canada’s Interim Pathway for Caregivers closed on October 8, 2019.

Eligibility Criteria and Conditions

Candidates must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be authorized to work in Canada on a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit.
  2. Intend to reside in a province or territory other than Quebec.
  3. Has obtained:
    1. a completed Canadian educational credential of at least a secondary school diploma; or,
    2. a foreign diploma, certificate or credential, along with an equivalency assessment — issued within five years before the date of application— that indicates that the foreign diploma, certificate or credential is equivalent to a completed Canadian secondary school diploma.
  4. Has attained a level of proficiency of at least benchmark 5 in either official language for each of the four language skill areas, as set out in the Canadian Language Benchmarks or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens.
  5. Since November 30, 2014, has acquired one year of authorized full-time Canadian work experience on a Temporary Foreign Worker Program work permit in any combination of the following eligible occupations:
    1. Home child care provider as per the terms of NOC 4411, other than any experience as a foster parent.
    2. Home support worker or related occupation, but not a housekeeper, under NOC 4412.

Live-In Caregiver Program

You can apply for permanent residence through the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) if you have at least two years of work experience in the program and:

  • You are already working in Canada with an LCP work permit, or
  • You were approved for your first LCP work permit based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment submitted to Employment and Social Development Canada on or before November 30, 2014.
TOP Logo
Free Immigration Evaluation
Click Here
Send this to a friend