Family Sponsorship Immigration For Dependent Children
Last Updated on August 20, 2021
Canadian citizens or permanent residents who meet certain conditions can sponsor their dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada.
Who Is Eligible To Sponsor Their Dependent Children?
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Canadian citizens living outside Canada must show they plan to live in Canada when the sponsored person(s) become permanent residents.
- Permanent residents living outside Canada cannot be sponsors.
- Be able to prove they are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
- Be able to provide for the basic needs of those being sponsored.
To sponsor a dependent child, the sponsor must be financially responsible for the sponsored person(s).
|Person you sponsor||Length of undertaking|
|Dependent child (biological or adopted) or child to be adopted in Canada under 22 years of age.||10 years, or until age 25, whichever comes first|
|Dependent child 22 years of age or older||3 years|
This includes providing financial support and repaying any social assistance received by the sponsored person(s) in that time.
The sponsor and the sponsored person(s) must also undertake a sponsorship agreement meaning:
- The sponsor will provide for the basic need of the sponsored person(s).
- The sponsored person(s) will try to support themselves and any family members.
In most cases, there is no income requirement to sponsor a dependent child.
Sponsors only need to show they meet income requirements if sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own.
Who Can Be Sponsored?
To qualify as dependents, children must:
- Be under 22 years old.
- Not have a spouse or common-law partner.
To qualify as dependents, children 22 years old or older must:
- Be unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.
- Have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.
If they qualify as a dependent, candidates can sponsor their:
- Own child.
- Spouse or partner and their child.
To sponsor a dependent child, candidates must submit an application under the Family Class. These applications are processed outside Canada.