Express Entry is a management system to manage economic immigration intake.
It is not an immigration program in itself, but a method for selecting the best candidates for Canada’s existing skilled worker immigration programs.
Which Programs Are Covered by Express Entry?
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canada Experience Class
- Select Streams Under Provincial Nomination Programs
Points are scored based on core factors such as age, education, work experience and language ability.
Significant points are also available for a secured qualified job offer and a provincial nomination.
- Boosting Your Score Under the Canada Express Entry Immigration System (Video)
- How to Gain 50 or 200 Points Under Express Entry (Video)
- Express Entry: How to find a job in Canada (Video)
- How to Immigrate to Canada Under Express Entry with CRS Scores Under 400 (Video)
Once issued a coveted ITA, the candidate has 60 days to perfect their application for permanent residence to one of the programs above.
If they fail to make the 60-day deadline, the ITA becomes invalid.
The target processing time for applications received via Express Entry is six months, which is achieved 85 per cent of the time.
Why Did Canada Launch Express Entry?
Canada launched Express Entry in 2015 in order to move from a first-come, first-served immigration system to one that selected candidates with the best chance of economic success.
Express Entry is considered as an example to the world of how to run a fluid and flexible economic immigration system.
With simple changes to the Comprehensive Ranking System, the Canadian government can use immigration to respond to economic and labour market changes.
Since 2015, two major tweaks to the CRS have taken place.
In November 2016, the system was tweaked to reduce points for a job offer and introduce points for a Canadian education.
In June 2016, a further change saw extra points for advanced French language ability and for having a sibling in Canada.
Previously, such changes would have meant getting acts through parliament and navigating significant red tape.
Now, the government has the ability to easily tweak the system in response to demand.
What Are Some Advantages of Express Entry?
- Ability to alter the program quickly and efficiently based on Canada’s economy.
- Better aligns Canada’s immigration intake with labour market requirements.
- Candidates can improve their scores whilst in the pool, meaning they can work towards achieving an Invitation to Apply.
- Offers a clear and realistic picture of a candidate’s Canada immigration prospects.
- Dramatically reduced processing times by prioritizing those more likely to be successful.
- Gives government flexibility on immigration through CRS changes and program-specific draws.
Does Express Entry Apply to Quebec?
Express Entry does not apply to Quebec, but the French-speaking province is about to launch its own version of the system.
Quebec Expression of Interest will launch in August 2018 and will operate similarly to Express Entry.
The highest-scoring candidates from an Expression of Interest Bank will be invited to apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ).
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.