August 2, 2018 – If you are looking to apply for Canada permanent residence from India, the first step is to assess which programs give you the best chance of success.
What Are the Options for Immigrating to Canada From India?
Broadly, the options are:
- Family Class Sponsorship.
- Federal Economic Class.
- Provincial Economic Class.
- Quebec Immigration.
- Temporary Residence First, Then Transition to Permanent.
- Business Immigration.
What Is Family Class Immigration?
Candidates with family members who are already permanent residents or citizens can apply through Family Class Sponsorship immigration.
Which Family Members Can Be Sponsored for Canada Immigration?
- Common Law partner
- Conjugal partner
- Dependent children
- Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
- Another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions
- Accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).
What Are the Requirements to Be A Sponsor?
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
- You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
- You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.
If you do not qualify for Family Class Sponsorship, the next step is to consider economic immigration.
Canada accepts the largest number of immigrants under the economic class.
It includes federal and provincial immigration programs covering a vast range of skills and target demand occupations.
The message is there are many immigration streams to be considered.
What Are Canada’s Federal Economic Class Programs?
Canada operates its federal economic class immigration system using Express Entry. The provinces are beginning to follow a similar approach.
Express Entry requires candidates to submit a profile, with the highest scoring profiles issued an Invitation to Apply to one of the above immigration programs.
Candidates then get 60 days to submit a full application.
Under Express Entry, candidates score Comprehensive Ranking System points for core factors such as age, education, work experience and language ability.
What Is the Express Entry Process?
- Submit profile and enter Express Entry Pool.
- Get issued an Invitation to Apply if you meet minimum points requirement.
- Submit an application in 60 days.
- Get a decision in target processing time of six months.
- If successful, move to Canada.
One of the best ways to increase a CRS score is with a job offer, which can be worth 200 or 50 points depending on the skill level.
Several of Canada’s provinces also operate Express Entry streams, allowing them to tap skilled workers from the pool.
A provincial nomination is worth 600 points and effectively guarantees an Invitation to Apply.
If you meet the requirements, Express Entry can be a fast way to achieve Canada immigration, with target processing times of six months once the full application is received.
What Are Canada’s Provincial Programs?
- Ontario Immigration
- Quebec Immigration
- Alberta Immigration
- British Columbia Immigration
- Manitoba Immigration
- New Brunswick Immigration
- Newfoundland Immigration
- Nova Scotia Immigration
- Saskatchewan Immigration
- Prince Edward Island Immigration
If you do not qualify through a federal economic program, the next step is to consider provincial streams.
Each one of Canada’s provinces runs their own immigration programs, targeting the specific demands of local labour markets.
If you have a specific skill, there could be a provincial stream waiting to accept you.
Quebec has autonomy over its immigration system, with the right to set its own immigration levels and the power to operate its own programs.
Beginning August 2018, Quebec will manage a Declaration of Interest system similar to Express Entry.
Can I Transition from Temporary to Permanent Residence?
Increasingly, immigrants are coming to Canada as temporary residents and transitioning to permanent residents.
This is a popular route for candidates who do not immediately qualify for permanent residence.
Time spent in Canada as a temporary resident counts towards a permanent residence application and even Canadian citizenship.
Can I Apply for A Business Immigration Program?
Canada also aims to attract entrepreneurs and investors through its business immigration programs.
At the federal level, options include:
Current federal policy allows qualified applicants to buy an existing business in Canada and receive a work permit. Then time spent on the work permit, can count towards a permanent residence application.
However, by far the most popular and largest business program is the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program.
It is the only passive investment program that leads to Canadian permanent residence.
Quebec Investor: 2018 Primary Requirements
- Legally acquired personal net worth of $2 million;
- Two years of suitable management or business experience within the five years preceding the application;
- Investment of $1.2 million into a passive government guaranteed investment for a period of five years bearing no interest;
- Intend to settle in the province of Quebec.
A selection of Canada’s other provinces also operates business programs as a route to permanent residence.
Increasingly, the provinces require time spent in Canada setting up a business as a temporary resident before candidates are nominated for permanent residence.
Owner-Operator Business Immigration
Candidates looking to immigrate to Canada from the UAE should also consider the Buy a Business and Move to Canada Program.
Federal owner-operator rules allow a candidate to buy a business and move to Canada on a temporary work permit, before transitioning to permanent residence further down the line.
Under this policy a work permit is issued following the sale and transfer of the majority share ownership of an existing profitable Canadian business to the immigration candidate.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.
Read more news about Canada Immigration by clicking here.