Last Updated on June 11, 2016
An overview of certain kinds of permanent residence applicants living in Canada who are:
- Eligible for an open work permit and
- Exempt from the LMIA requirement.
Certain people who are living in Canada and applying for permanent residence are eligible to apply for open work permits. These people are also exempt from the LMIA requirement.
People eligible for these exemptions include:
- Live-in caregivers who:
- Have submitted a Canadian permanent residence application
- Are temporary residents
- Hold a work permit as a live-in caregiver
- Live in a private home in Canada and, without supervision, provide childcare, senior care or care for a disabled person.
- Have worked as a caregiver for either two of the four years after entering Canada OR 3,900 hours over a period of at least 22 months.
- Have not worked for more than one employer at once
- Have not worked more than 390 hours of overtime
- Are not subject to a court hearing to be removed from Canada
- Did not enter Canada by lying about their education, training or work experience
- If they live in Quebec, meet Quebec selection criteria
- Spouses or Common-Law partners who:
- Are being sponsored to become Canadian permanent residents
- Are the spouse or common-law partner of their sponsor
- Live with their sponsor/spouse/partner
- Have temporary resident status in Canada
- Persons who have been granted protection as convention refugees
- Persons who have ben granted protection due to a successful pre-removal risk assessment
- Persons who are applying for permanent residence under humanitarian and compassionate grounds. These applicants must have had one or more of the permanent residence requirements waived for humanitarian and compassionate reasons.
- Family members of all of the above that live in Canada.
Interested employers: Kindly contact us here to receive further information.
Interested candidates: Find out whether you qualify to Canada by completing our free on-line evaluation. We will provide you with our evaluation within 1-2 business days.