Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Physicists and Astronomers (2111)
Nature of Work:
Physicists conduct theoretical and applied research to extend knowledge of natural phenomena and to develop new processes and devices in fields such as electronics, communications, power generation and distribution, aerodynamics, optics and lasers, remote sensing, biotechnology, medicine and health. They are employed by electronic, electrical and aerospace manufacturing companies, telecommunications companies, power utilities, university and government research laboratories, hospitals and by a wide range of other processing, manufacturing, and research and consulting firms. Astronomers conduct observational and theoretical research to extend knowledge of the universe. They are employed by government and universities.
Physicists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design and conduct research in experimental and theoretical physics,
- Carry out analysis of research data and prepare research reports,
- Participate as a member of a research or development team in the design and development of experimental, industrial or medical equipment, instrumentation and procedures.
Astronomers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design and conduct observational surveys, conduct detailed analyses and develop numerical models to extend knowledge of celestial bodies and cosmic radiation,
- Develop or participate in the development of instrumentation and software for astronomical observation and analysis.
* Physicists may specialize in fields such as aeronomy and space, acoustics, atomic and molecular physics, biophysics, condensed matter or solid state physics, electromagnetics, fluids and aerodynamics, health physics, medical physics, metrology, particle physics, optics and laser physics, nuclear physics and plasma physics.
* Astronomers may specialize in fields such as astrophysics, observational or optical astronomy and radio astronomy.
Architecture and science managers (0212) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities and operations of an architecture, landscape architecture, scientific research and development laboratory or quality control department, service or firm,
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the architectural, scientific and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm,
- Assign, co-ordinate and review the technical work of the department or project teams,
- Recruit personnel and oversee development and maintenance of staff competence in required areas,
- May participate directly in the design, development and inspection of technical projects or in the theoretical or applied scientific work of the department,
- May consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, explain proposals or present architectural or scientific research reports and findings.
Meteorologists and climatologists (2114) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Analyze and interpret data obtained from meteorological stations, radar and satellite imagery and computer model output,
- Produce weather forecasts and provide weather consulting services for industries such as aviation, marine, agriculture and tourism, and to the general public,
- Disseminate weather forecasts and reports to the general public through a variety of media including radio, television, print and the Internet,
- Conduct research and provide consultation on the processes and determinants of atmospheric phenomena, weather and climate, atmospheric dispersion, and physical and chemical transformation of pollutants,
- Develop and test mathematical computer models of weather and climate for experimental or operational use,
- Analyze the impact of industrial projects and human activity on the climate and quality of the air and work with the social science, engineering and economic communities to develop appropriate mitigation strategies,
- Participate in studies of the effect of weather on the environment,
- Provide consultation and advice to outside agencies, professionals, or researchers regarding the use and interpretation of climatological information,
- Make scientific presentations, publish reports, articles or popular texts for specialists, users or the general public,
- May engage in the design and development of new equipment and procedures for meteorological data collection, remote sensing, or for related applications,
Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers (2147) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Analyze user’s requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications,
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers,
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components,
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware,
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients,
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
Network system and data communication engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture;
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software;
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks;
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
* Computer engineers may specialize in a number of areas including analog and digital signal processing, fibre optics, integrated circuits, lasers, microprocessors, microwaves and radio astronomy.
Individuals who perform the majority of the above job description may be eligible for consideration under Quebec Immigration rules.
How to proceed forward with our assistance:
Complete the following questionnaire and receive in 1-2 days a free assessment of your qualifications for admission to Canada.