Last Updated on April 29, 2020
Canada’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot has been launched in the first three participating communities.
Sault Ste. Marie in Ontario and Altona/Rhineland in Manitoba are accepting applications for community recommendation from candidates with a job offer from a local employer.
Meanwhile, Thunder Bay in Ontario is accepting interest from local employers who wish to be part of the program.
Once fully operational, 11 communities will be able to receive applications for community recommendation under the program. That recommendation can then be used to apply to the federal government for permanent residence.
The RNIP is designed to help bring new skilled worker immigrants to smaller communities.
The five-year federal immigration pilot is designed to help smaller communities with aging populations and labour shortages, which struggle to attract and retain new immigrants.
It is a community-driven program that aims to spread out the benefit of immigration.
To be included in the pilot, communities must:
- Have a population of 50,000 or less and be located at least 75km from the core of a Census Metropolitan Area, OR
- Have a population of up to 200,000 people and be considered remote from other larger cities, according to the Statistics Canada Remoteness Index.
Steps to Permanent Residence
- Candidates must check they meet both the federal government eligibility requirements and community-specific requirements.
- Find an eligible job with an employer in one of the participating communities (listed below).
- Candidates with a job offer can submit an application for recommendation to the community.
- Candidates with a community recommendation can apply for permanent residence.
|North Bay, ON||Coming soon|
|Sudbury, ON||Coming soon|
|Timmins, ON||Coming soon|
|Sault Ste. Marie, ON||www.welcometossm.com|
|Thunder Bay, ON||www.gothunderbay.com|
|Brandon, MB||Coming soon|
|Moose Jaw, SK||Coming soon|
|Claresholm, AB||Coming soon|
|Vernon, BC||Coming soon|
|West Kootenay (Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), BC||Coming soon|